News

Beastie Boys pledge to not make new music without MCA

Beastie Boys pledge to not make new music without MCA

THE BOYS: In this 1989 file photo originally provided by Capitol Records, members of the Beastie Boys, from left, from left, Adam Horovitz, known as Adrock, Michael Diamond, known as Mike D and Adam Yauch, known as MCA, are shown. Yauch, the gravelly voiced Beastie Boys rapper who co-founded the seminal hip-hop group, died, Friday, May 4, 2012, at age 47 after a nearly three-year battle with cancer. Also known as MCA, Yauch was diagnosed with a cancerous salivary gland in 2009. Photo: Associated Press

The surviving members of the Beastie Boys have vowed not to record new music under the group’s name after making a promise to late rapper Adam “MCA” Yauch before his death in 2012.

The hip-hop trio has not released any new material since 2011 album “Hot Sauce Committee Part Two,” and Michael ‘Mike D’ Diamond reveals fans won’t be hearing anything else from the Beastie Boys now that co-founder Yauch is no longer alive.

He revealed the news during a New York court hearing in the band’s ongoing copyright infringement battle against the bosses of Monster Beverage Corp, who stand accused of using five of the band’s tracks in a promotional video without permission.

During his testimony on Friday, Diamond admitted he and Adam “Ad-Rock” Horovitz had made a vow with Yauch to prevent any new music being released without each member’s input.

Testifying at Manhattan Federal Court, the “Sabotage” hitmaker said, “We have not been able to tour since MCA, Adam Yauch, died. We can’t make new music.”

Diamond returned to the witness stand on Monday, when defense lawyer Dana Susman attempted to depict the band as hypocrites after the rapper claimed they had turned down “a lot of money” after producers behind Arnold Schwarzenegger’s recent film “Sabotage” asked them for permission to use their 1994 song of the same name.

Diamond revealed they had rejected the offer because they “weren’t fans of Mr. Schwarzenegger’s recent… work”, but Susman called the rapper out and suggested they had subsequently backtracked as their song was used as the action man’s walk on music during a recent appearance on “The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon.”

Susman alleged the band had received a fee of $600 in exchange for allowing a snippet of the track to be used, but Diamond insisted he had no knowledge of the deal and claimed any agreement would have been because they are “fans of that show”, reports the New York Daily News.

The Beastie Boys had previously performed on Fallon’s previous program, Late Night with Jimmy Fallon, prior to Yauch’s death.

Latest News

2 hours ago in Entertainment

Seth MacFarlane returning to Fox with new sci-fi series

sethmacfarlane536713938826

The "Family Guy" star is producing a new series set 300 years in the future.

5 hours ago in Albemarle County, Charlottesville City, Local, Surrounding Counties, UVA

Amber Alert From Spotsylvania County

Williams

An Amber Alert has been issued from Spotsylvania County.

5 hours ago in Music

‘You can’t always get what you want,’ Stones tell Trump

rollingstonesREUTERS

The Rolling Stones told Republican presidential hopeful Donald Trump on Wednesday to stop using the band's music for his campaign after artists such as Adele and R.E.M. made the same request.

5 hours ago in Entertainment

Channing Tatum bringing ‘Magic Mike’ to Sin City

20-overlay-3

The actor, who starred and produced in both the 2012 film and its 2015 sequel "Magic Mike XXL" made the announcement in a Facebook Live video on Wednesday, revealing "Magic Mike Live" will be coming to the Hard Rock Hotel and Casino in March, 2017.