News

Boston sets memorial for victims of marathon bombing

Boston sets memorial for victims of marathon bombing

BOSTON MARATHON: Photos from left, Martin Richard, 8, Lingzi Lu, a Boston University graduate student, and Krystle Campbell, 29, hang at a makeshift memorial near the finish line of the Boston Marathon explosions, which killed three and injured more than 140. Photo: Associated Press/Matt Rourke

(BOSTON) Reuters – Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick, Boston Mayor Marty Walsh, and some of the 264 people injured in the April 15 Boston Marathon bombing will attend a memorial service on the one-year anniversary of the attack, officials said on Thursday.

Officials offered few details of the event, which will be held at Boston’s Hynes Convention Center and will also feature remarks from first responders and a tribute to the three people killed by the twin homemade pressure-cooker bombs.

“We were put to the ultimate test by the events at last year’s Boston Marathon,” Patrick said. “We rose to the occasion: turning to each other, rather than against and showing the world what a strong community looks like.”

The blasts, which ripped through spectators, volunteers and athletes at the crowded finish line of Boston’s best-attended sporting event, prompted a week-long security flurry across the city, culminating in a day-long lockdown of the greater metropolitan area as police conducted a manhunt for suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev.

Tsarnaev, a 20-year-old immigrant from Russia’s restive Chechnya region, was arrested late on April 19, after he and his 26-year-old brother, Tamerlan, shot and killed a university police officer in a hasty attempt to escape the city, authorities said.

On Wednesday, a U.S. judge ruled that the surviving Tsarnaev’s trial on charges related to the attack will begin in November. The suspect, who lived just outside Boston for the decade prior to the bombing, faces the possibility of execution if he is convicted.

(Reporting by Scott Malone; editing by Sofina Mirza-Reid)

Latest Stories

in Music

The Beatles wanted to film ‘Lord of the Rings’

FILE- This is a 1967 handout image from Parlophone of The British group, The Beatles,. From left, are: Ringo Starr, John Lennon, Paul McCartney; and George Harrison. The woman who as a child was the basis for the Beatles song "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" is gravely ill. It was thought by many at the time that the psychedelic song from Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart Club Band was a paean to LSD because of the initials in the title, but it was actually based on a drawing that John Lennon's young son Julian brought home from school. He told his father the drawing was of Lucy in the sky with diamonds. Lucy Vodden, now living in Surrey just outside of London _ drifted apart after schoolyard days, but they have gotten back in touch as Lennon has tried to help Vodden cope with Lupus, a life-threatening disease.

Peter Jackson reveals John Lennon could have played Gollum in a Stanley Kubrick directed LOTR adaptation.

in Entertainment

Fans support campaign to keep Sean Bean alive in new show

British actor Sean Bean arrives for a special UK screening of Cleanskin, at the Mayfair Hotel in central London, Monday, March 5, 2012.

The "Game of Thrones" actor has died more than 20 times in his career, and fans want it to stop.

in Entertainment

‘Guardians of the Galaxy’ sequel set for 2017

Guardians Of The Galaxy

Marvel unveils plans to press ahead with a sequel to "Guardians of the Galaxy," days before the superhero movie even hits theaters.