News

Dolphins suspend Richie Incognito for harassment

Dolphins suspend Richie Incognito for harassment

Miami Dolphins guard Richie Incognito (68) and tackle Jonathan Martin (71) looks over plays during the second half of an NFL preseason football game against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Saturday, Aug. 24, 2013 in Miami Gardens, Fla. Photo: Associated Press/Wilfredo Lee

MIAMI (Reuters) – The Miami Dolphins said they have indefinitely suspended offensive lineman Richie Incognito for “conduct detrimental to the team.”

The suspension was announced on Sunday night, hours after the Dolphins said they and the National Football League (NFL) were investigating bullying and abuse allegations made by offensive tackle Jonathan Martin.

“We believe in maintaining a culture of respect for one another and as a result we believe this decision is in the best interest of the organization at this time,” the Dolphins said in announcing Incognito’s suspension.

The NFL said in a statement: “We have been in contact with the team on this matter since last week and will conduct a thorough review.”

Earlier on Sunday, the Dolphins said they had received notifications from Martin’s representative alleging that he had been repeatedly harassed by teammates.

“We are taking these allegations very seriously,” the Dolphins said.

Martin, who was a second-round draft choice in 2012 out of Stanford University, left the team last week on a leave of absence. The 23-year-old had started every game of his rookie season and seven games this year.

The Dolphins said coach Joe Philbin and several teammates had been in touch with him and that, “Our primary concern for Jonathan is his overall health and well-being.”

The Dolphins did not elaborate on the allegations against Incognito. On Twitter, Incognito denied wrongdoing and demanded that his name be cleared.

The incident shines a light on rookie hazing that has long been a widespread practice in the league, though not generally known to have been taken to extremes.

ESPN reported Sunday that Incognito convinced Martin to contribute $15,000 to help finance a trip to Las Vegas, even though Martin did not go on the trip.

Other instances of intimidation were captured on voicemails and texts, according to media reports.

Latest News

17 mins ago in Entertainment

Fans campaign to give Captain America a boyfriend

Fresh
twitter

TRENDING ON TWITTER: An online campaign emerges calling for significant LGBT characters in superhero movies. But dissenters weigh in, too.

25 mins ago in Entertainment

Would you watch a Kardashian family movie?

Fresh
kardashians465492076332

Kim Kardashian and her family have reportedly been offered more than $100million to make their big screen debut.

29 mins ago in Music

Bob Dylan turns 75, with latest tour and album in the wind

Fresh
bobdylan

Rock bard Bob Dylan, forever young in the minds of baby boomers who grew up with his music, turned 75-years-old on Tuesday, a little more than a week before the start of a U.S. summer tour in support of his latest album.

34 mins ago in Entertainment

Cosby lawyers outline defense as case heads to trial

Fresh
25-overlay-7

Bill Cosby's lawyers have outlined the tough questions the accuser likely will face now that their client is heading to trial in a criminal sexual-assault case.

50 mins ago in Trending, Viral Videos

TODAY’S MUST SEE: ‘Chewbacca Mom’ and ‘Star Wars’ director J.J. Abrams take a drive

Fresh
19-overlay-7

Just three happy Chewbaccas having fun in a car together.