News

Judge in Hernandez murder case declines to step aside

Judge in Hernandez murder case declines to step aside

WON'T STEP DOWN: The judge in the Aaron Hernandez case will not step down. Aaron Hernandez (shown here during an October court date) was indicted in August in the killing of 27-year-old Odin Lloyd, a semi-professional football player from Boston who was dating the sister of Hernandez's girlfriend. He has pleaded not guilty. Photo: Associated Press/Brian Snyder

By Daniel Lovering

FALL RIVER, Massachusetts (Reuters) – A Massachusetts judge declined to step down from the murder trial of ex-National Football League player Aaron Hernandez on Monday, saying she is not biased against the prosecutor.

Prosecutors had asked that Fall River Superior Court Judge Susan Garsh recuse herself from the case because she had been “antagonistic” toward prosecutor William McCauley in past trials. Prosecutors said they would not appeal Garsh’s decision.

“I have examined my emotions and consulted my conscience, and I am satisfied that I harbor no bias,” Garsh said. “I do not fear or favor the Commonwealth or the defendant.”

McCauley had argued that Garsh had undermined his credibility during past proceedings, including a 2010 murder trial, by speaking to him dismissively, interrupting him and “sending signals (so) the jury would naturally think I was doing something wrong.”

The former New England Patriots tight end is charged with the June 17 shooting death of Odin Lloyd, a semi-professional football player, in an industrial area near Hernandez’s home in North Attleborough, Massachusetts. The case has attracted intense media interest.

Hernandez, 23, was a star player with a $41 million contract when he was arrested on June 26. The Patriots dropped Hernandez a few hours after his arrest.

He has pleaded not guilty to all charges, which include one count of murder and several firearms-related offenses. A trial date has not yet been set.

At Monday’s hearing, Hernandez sat silently with his attorneys, wearing a dark jacket and a pink tie. The judge permitted his handcuffs to be removed.

Defense attorney James Sultan argued during the hearing that the motion lacked specific details and amounted to complaining about past rulings, which was not grounds for recusal.

“It’s utterly frivolous as a matter of law,” he said.

Bristol County District Attorney Sam Sutter told reporters outside the court that prosecutors would not appeal the judge’s decision.

“We don’t think she’s biased against the Commonwealth,” he said.

Hernandez is being held in Bristol County Jail while awaiting trial. The other men who were in the car that night, Carlos Orbitz and Ernest Wallace, have been charged with accessory to murder after the fact.

Latest Stories

in Music

The Beatles wanted to film ‘Lord of the Rings’

FILE- This is a 1967 handout image from Parlophone of The British group, The Beatles,. From left, are: Ringo Starr, John Lennon, Paul McCartney; and George Harrison. The woman who as a child was the basis for the Beatles song "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" is gravely ill. It was thought by many at the time that the psychedelic song from Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart Club Band was a paean to LSD because of the initials in the title, but it was actually based on a drawing that John Lennon's young son Julian brought home from school. He told his father the drawing was of Lucy in the sky with diamonds. Lucy Vodden, now living in Surrey just outside of London _ drifted apart after schoolyard days, but they have gotten back in touch as Lennon has tried to help Vodden cope with Lupus, a life-threatening disease.

Peter Jackson reveals John Lennon could have played Gollum in a Stanley Kubrick directed LOTR adaptation.

in Entertainment

Fans support campaign to keep Sean Bean alive in new show

British actor Sean Bean arrives for a special UK screening of Cleanskin, at the Mayfair Hotel in central London, Monday, March 5, 2012.

The "Game of Thrones" actor has died more than 20 times in his career, and fans want it to stop.

in Entertainment

‘Guardians of the Galaxy’ sequel set for 2017

Guardians Of The Galaxy

Marvel unveils plans to press ahead with a sequel to "Guardians of the Galaxy," days before the superhero movie even hits theaters.