News

‘Simpsons’ co-creator battling cancer offers fortune to charity

‘Simpsons’ co-creator battling cancer offers fortune to charity

Sam Simon, the man who co-created "The Simpsons," is giving away his fortune to charity as he battles terminal cancer. Photo: WENN

Sam Simon, the man who co-created “The Simpsons,” is giving away his vast fortune to animal rights and poverty groups as he battles terminal cancer.

The 58-year-old, who came up with the concept for the animated TV hit with Matt Groening in 1983, was diagnosed with terminal colon cancer earlier this year and given three to six months to live, and he has vowed to give away millions to the charities he has supported through the Sam Simon Foundation, which provides vegan food to the hungry and homes for stray pets.

He has also supported PETA, Save the Children and marine organization the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society, and he turned a Malibu, California compound into a sanctuary for unwanted dogs rescued from kill shelters.

Simon says, “I have more money than I’m interested in spending. Everyone in my family is taken care of. And I enjoy this.”

His ex-wife Jennifer Tilly tells the publication she’s proud of her former husband for his charitable efforts as he faces death, stating, “I think it’s really nice for him that he’s doing it now and he gets to see the results of his philanthropy. He really does have a passion to survive, and the longer he’s on the earth, the more good work he can do.”

Latest News

1 hour ago in Albemarle County, Charlottesville City, Local, Surrounding Counties, UVA

Amber Alert From Spotsylvania County

Fresh
Williams

An Amber Alert has been issued from Spotsylvania County.

1 hour ago in Music

‘You can’t always get what you want,’ Stones tell Trump

Fresh
rollingstonesREUTERS

The Rolling Stones told Republican presidential hopeful Donald Trump on Wednesday to stop using the band's music for his campaign after artists such as Adele and R.E.M. made the same request.

1 hour ago in Entertainment

Channing Tatum bringing ‘Magic Mike’ to Sin City

Fresh
20-overlay-3

The actor, who starred and produced in both the 2012 film and its 2015 sequel "Magic Mike XXL" made the announcement in a Facebook Live video on Wednesday, revealing "Magic Mike Live" will be coming to the Hard Rock Hotel and Casino in March, 2017.

1 hour ago in Entertainment

YouTube plans online TV service

Fresh
youtubeREUTERS

YouTube is working on a paid subscription service called Unplugged that would offer customers a bundle of cable TV channels streamed over the Internet.

2 hours ago in Entertainment

Cinco de Mayo deals

Fresh
23-overlay

Raise a margarita to celebrate saving money!